FRIENDS OF THE HERSHEY TROLLEY
The Friends of the Hershey Trolley (FOHT) is a committee of the Hershey History Center.
MISSION & HISTORY
Friends of the Hershey Trolley's mission is the education and preservation of the Hershey Transit trolley system that ran from 1904 to 1946. The committee is comprised of community members and volunteers, including Hershey History Center, HE&R, Hershey Museum, Milton Hershey School, and the MS Hershey Foundation.
On December 21, 1946 , at midnight, Cars No. 17, No. 21, and No. 23 rolled out of the square in Hershey on their last run, ending the almost half-century era of Milton Hershey’s trolley line. Regardless of inclement weather, Hersheyites rode the cars for the last time, carrying receipts showing a thirty-five percent increase on that day.
As the chocolate company took off, Milton Hershey saw a need for transportation, not only to bring milk from the fields on surrounding farms, but also to bring his workers into Hershey. 1903 saw the formation of the Hummelstown & Campbellstown Street Railway, sponsored by Mr. Hershey, to operate an electric railway from Hummelstown through Derry Church to Palmyra to Palmyra and Campbelltown. Three Brill trolley cars were ordered, one straight passenger and the other two combination freight and passenger. On October 15, 1904, the first trolley left Hummelstown for Derry Church.
1907 saw additional cars and companies added to accommodate the increased number of passengers and freight. Additional trolley lines sprung up; Deodate & Hershey Street Railway, Elizabethtown & Deodate Street Railway, Conestoga Traction Co. and the Lebanon and Campbellstown Street Railway were formed, extending service and adjoining existing service to outlying communities.
On December 13, 1913, the Hershey Transit Company was formed, merging all of the surrounding trolley lines and subsidiaries. Hershey officials kept their trolleys and the 35 miles of line in first-class condition. Cars were clean and brightly painted in deep green with yellow trim. The Hershey Transit car roster numbered 1 through 30, although with some of the cars being replaced through the years, the total number of cars that ran during the company’s 42 year history is 34.
STEERING COMMITTEE: Neil Fasnacht, Brad Ginder, Lisa Ginder, MattLoser, Lisa Maloy, and Todd Pagliarulo.
EXHIBITIONS & COLLECTIONS
Currently our restoration projects are only open to the public for select events in a private facility. Please visit our museum displays at the Hershey History Center. For information on the No. 7 and No. 3 trolleys, and on the Hershey Electric Railway, please visit the links below.
PURCHASE AT THE GIFT SHOP
Wood collectible block of the West Car Barn
Produced by Hometown Designs, approximately 10″ x 2.5″, all proceeds go to Friends of the Hershey Trolley. The West Car Barn was the last standing car barn in Hershey that housed the street cars for the Hershey Transit Company. Depicted here, with No. 3 and No. 7 at the east end of the barn.
One of three interurban cars built by the Cincinnati Car Company in 1913, No. 7 ran on the Hershey line between 1930 and 1946. Originally part of the Ephrata and Lebanon Street Railway Co., No. 7 was a full passenger car and one of the more ornate streetcars on the transit system. It was a popular car used to transport patrons to the Hotel Hershey and Milton Hershey School’s Senior Hall.
Buy it today and help us restore Trolley No7. Available at the Hershey History Center's gift shop for $5.00. (Sorry, no shipping available.)
"Hershey Transit: Images of Rail" by Friends of the Hershey Trolley
When Milton S. Hershey broke ground to construct his new chocolate factory in 1903, many questioned the wisdom of building in the middle of a cornfield. With his factory wedged between the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad tracks and the Berks & Dauphin Turnpike, Hershey set out to create a first-rate street railway system. The Hershey Transit Company existed many years after the trolley industry declined in most areas of the United States. It was the chief mode of travel for the chocolate factory workers, vital to dairy farmers for transport of fresh milk to the factory, and essential to students of the Hershey Industrial School housed in surrounding farms. On the weekends, the transit system brought people from outlying areas into Hershey, Pennsylvania, to enjoy the theater or the famous Hershey Park for employee picnics, family outings, or special occasions.
Hershey Transit documents one of the best-known and well-kept streetcar systems, started by Milton S. Hershey and operated from 1904 to 1946.
But it today. Available at the Hershey History Center's gift shop for $21.99. (Sorry, no shipping available.)
SUPPORT THE FRIENDS OF THE HERSHEY TROLLEY
Please donate to the Friends of the Hershey Trolley (FOHT) at the "Donate" button. Your contributions help to restore the No. 7 trolley. Follow the FOHT on Facebook for the latest news. f you would like to be a FOHT volunteer, we would love to hear from you. Please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org